under construction! Don't be alarmed, new layout coming soon...yeah right

Friday, September 21, 2007

Southland Tales Trailer FINALLY ARRIVES!



I’m not a big Donnie Darko geek, but I will defend the film when ever people criticize it. Well, I’ll defend the Director’s Cut at least. The original was a romance with sci-fi touches whereas the Director’s Cut is full-blown sci-fi masterpiece. So when I heard Richard Kelly’s next film was going to be a sprawling epic about the end of the world set in LA I was immediately excited. Then the film really never came out and it had a bad screening at Cannes. I heard that it was a bit messy and long, but I knew that Kelly could get it right. Well finally after two years of post-production hell Southland Tales is finally coming out November 9th. Just watch the trailer yourself, words can’t really describe...



Wow. I’m sold. If I believe what I’m seeing I cannot wait. Filmmakers need to take more risks and it looks like Richard Kelly is taking a bold step. I’d rather take a messy film that tries something new than some well-scripted movie that retreads old ground.

...Plus the tagline is just really cool.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a whimper, but with a bang.

Links:
Southland Tales on IMDB
Interview with Richard Kelly in the LA Times

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of both Donnie Darko versions, the original and the director's cut, but I have to be skeptical of Southland Tales. when your three leads are The Rock, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Sean William Scott...ugh. that pains me. however, I still want to see it. maybe just because the people at Cannes hated it so much. heee!

Steven Ray Morris said...

I think there is a reason for this particular casting. I mean The Rock, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sean William Scott, Mandy Moore, Justin Timberlake... There is something conspicuous about it all. We shall soon see.